Seventh General Assembly
Call for papers
The International Council on English Braille (ICEB) is holding its Seventh General Assembly from Monday, May 11, 2020 through Friday, May 15, 2020 at the Google Academy in central London UK. We are delighted to invite friends of braille to submit papers (either full presentations or shorter ‘posters’) for delivery at the event.
The focus for the week will be on braille as an exciting and relevant code for the future, particularly digital braille. The following list gives some ideas for topics; however, it is not exhaustive. If you have something exciting you would like to share please get in touch:
- Electronic reading of braille across different devices.
- Research, education and teaching of braille to children.
- Technological developments in braille production.
- Teaching braille to blind adults, including issues related to the computer-assisted environments.
- Tactile graphics: research into readability and cost-effective production techniques.
- Methods and issues surrounding braille writing.
- UEB research and results of UEB implementation.
- Challenges facing developing countries in the production and teaching of braille.
- The future of braille code monitoring and maintenance.
For further inspiration please see the papers presented at the last General Assembly in Baltimore USA
Process for submission
There will be two categories of paper, either a presentation or a poster session. If your paper is about a product/course or something similar, it will be categorised as a poster session.
Closing date for submission of Abstracts of up to 400 words is Friday 15th November 2019. Late abstracts will only be considered if there are insufficient suitable abstracts received by the due date. Please provide the abstracts as Microsoft Word or text (.txt) attachments to Mandy White, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts will be assessed and selected by the Papers Subcommittee of the ICEB, who will advise submitters of the acceptance (or non-acceptance) of their papers by Friday 29th November, 2019.
What to include in your abstract: To assist the Committee in assessing your proposal, please ensure that you address the following points as part of your abstract of up to 400 words:
- Title of paper;
- Is the paper for inclusion as a presentation or poster session;
- Name(s) of author(s), including organisational or corporate affiliations;
- Contact details of author(s) (address, telephone and email);
- Key objectives of paper – up to five key points;
- Outline of paper;
- Name and contact details of presenter of the paper (if different from above).
Papers (posters or presentations)
Completed papers are due by Friday 28th February, 2020 as both a Microsoft Word file and a braille file (brf/dxb). Note – If you are unable to produce a braille file we can give you guidelines on how to do this. The papers should be sent to Mandy White, email email@example.com . Presentations should be a maximum of 3,500 words in length, exclusive of abstract, footnotes and appendices. Posters should be no longer than 1,350 words
Papers may be written by two or more co-authors, or by an individual. Authors or co-authors need not be delegates to the General Assembly.
All accepted papers will be emailed to ICEB member countries by Friday 27th March 2020. This deadline is so that delegates may read and discuss the contents with others prior to their attending the General Assembly.
Delivery of Papers
Delivery of full presentations: As delegates are expected to have read the paper, each presenter will be asked to give a summary of their paper in up to 25 minutes, allowing time for questions and discussion to follow. A presenter is not required to be a paper’s author/co-author nor to be a delegate to the Assembly.
Delivery of poster sessions: Each presenter will have 10 minutes to explain and demonstrate their item. Delegates will then be able to explore the products further in an exhibition area
All accepted papers will be published in the proceedings of the General Assembly and will be posted on the ICEB website after the Assembly. Presenters will be expected to register and pay for attendance at the General Assembly.
Summary of due dates:
- Friday 15 November 2019: Abstracts Due
- Friday 29 November 2019: Abstracts selected and submitters contacted via email
- Friday 28 February 2020: Completed papers due
- Friday 27 March 2020: Accepted papers distributed to ICEB delegations via email