14th and 15th March 2024
Our 2024 Annual National Conference will bring together leaders and practitioners to share ideas for supporting the education and development of children and young people with vision impairment.
We are working hard to develop a programme to cover a wide range of topics which will include a celebration of ‘200 hundred years of braille!’ We will be publishing a draft programme on this page when available.
Venue: Birmingham Strathallan Hotel, 225 Hagley Rd, Birmingham B16 9RY
What 3 Words: ///royal.hurls.hobby
Residential places are now fully booked
Residential places are fully booked, however, we still have plenty of day places available. Email us if you wish to be informed if any overnight places become available: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you book as a day delegate and wish to come for both days, Birmingham Central (Hagley Road) Premier Inn is nearby and the Best Western Plough and Harrow Hotel on Hagley Road is a 5-10 min walk from Birmingham Strathallan.
Keynotes (we will publish a full programme when available)
We are delighted that we already have the following exciting sessions lined up:
Our aim is to highlight best practice, guidance, practical ideas, and the latest learning from the sector to ensure that each delegate has a valuable learning experience.
- Clinical psychologist, Dr. Ian McCubbin – Ian has supported many children with progressive vision loss and their families
- Dr Jessica Hayton, Lecturer in Psychology; and Programme Leader: Graduate Diploma in Habilitation and Disabilities of Sight at UCL Institute of Education
- Dr Melissa Fanshawe, Senior Lecturer in the School of Education at University of Southern Queensland, and trained teacher for students with vision impairment.
Workshops – Friday programme (we will publish details of additional workshops when available)
Struggling Readers – Strategies and Resources – Jean Weiss, Vision Impairment Team Lead, Berkshire Sensory Consortium Service
- Many children with a vision impairment struggle to develop literacy skills. I will highlight a range of causes of these difficulties and corresponding ideas to support children’s literacy from preschool to secondary age. Exploring literacy development for Braille users, large print users and dual media learners. A session packed with strategies and resource ideas to take away.
Early Communication – Development, Skills and Strategies – Anne Cheesbrough (SENSE) and Caireen Sutherland (RNIB)
- This workshop will look at the development of early communication skills in children with VI and complex needs or MSI. It will cover some theory but will predominantly focus on real life examples, practical strategies and considerations in this area. We will consider your role and how you can support and how this work is fundamental to the development of more formal methods of communication such as on body signing, tactile learning etc.
‘Learning Through Play – Pre braille skills with LEGO Braille Bricks’ – Joanne Hogg, QTVI
- At this workshop you will discover the benefits of using a play based approach to developing pre braille skills. You will learn the principles of learning through play and develop confidence in creating your own teaching activities.
LOOK UK will be delivering a practical workshop – details to be confirmed
Further information about speakers and workshops will be made available on the website as soon as we have it!
Fill out the VIEW Conference Booking form
Booking online indicates acceptance of our booking terms and conditions which includes the cancellation policy. Please ensure you have read them prior to booking.
- Now FULLY BOOKED Whole conference (residential including gala buffet) – Thu 14 and Fri 15 March. £355 (VIEW members £280*)
- NOW FULLY BOOKED Whole conference and VIEW Membership annual subscription – Thu 14 and Fri 15 March (£340 or £320 concession)
- Day 1 (day delegate only) Thu 14 March – £175 (VIEW members £145*)
- Day 2 (day delegate only) Fri 15 March (daytime only) £175 (VIEW members £145*)
- Bed and Breakfast for the night before the conference (Wed 13 March) – £85 (subject to availability)
*Please note, membership discounts can only be applied if delegates are members at the time of booking and at the time of the event.
If you are unable to use the form, please email: email@example.com with your requirements.