Training for professionals supporting learners with vision impairment
We offer online, and blended courses for education professionals to help you understand the implications of vision impairment for teaching and learning.
The courses seek to challenge you to consider your current practice, share and develop this with others in the field, and apply your new understanding to your working context.
Partners in Learning (blended course)
- The Partners in Learning Advanced certificate course developed in conjunction with the Open University, can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide a high level of education for the learners with whom you work.
- In recognition of its excellence, several local authorities have made Partners in Learning a mandatory qualification for teaching assistants employed in their visual impairment support services.
- Online study and discussion activities and includes two Zoom training sessions.
Understanding visual impairment in children and young people (online course)
- Understanding vision impairment in children and young people is studied online over around 50 hours at a pace of your choosing.
- It is designed to support the training needs of professionals and parents to improve the quality of learning opportunities available to children and young people with visual impairment.
- You will receive ‘light touch’ tutorial support, and do not need to be working with blind or partially sighted learners to complete the course.
- The content is drawn mainly from existing material used in VIEW’s Advanced Certificate ‘Partners in Learning’ course. It is intended for people who wish to gain an overview of the issues without studying in the depth required by Partners in Learning.
Vision impairment and complex needs in children and young people (online course)
- Vision impairment and complex needs in children and young people has been written by experts in the field and created by an experienced instructional designer.
- It is studied online over around 50 hours with the pace of learning being set by the student.
- You will be assigned a tutor who provides “light touch” support.
- The course is designed for students from any background – education, care, or health.
- It is suitable for professionals and parents, in fact, anyone who is interested in facilitating development in children and young people who have vision impairment and complex needs.
The effective teaching of literacy through braille – online training course
- The effective teaching of literacy through braille has been designed to provide specialist training in how to teach literacy through braille. It is suitable for all teachers of children with vision impairment, including those in training for the Mandatory Qualification or waiting to start the MQ course.
- It has been written by nationally recognised practitioners in braille and created as an online course by an experienced instructional designer.
- The course involves around 80 hours of study time and is organised according to a structured timetable.
- Education professionals can now enrol for a new online training resource to develop knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles of modification and production used by awarding bodies for Modified Large Print GCSE and GCE examination materials.
- Through studying genuine modifications, referring to best practice guidance, and completing practical exercises, the resource builds confidence for preparing in-house modified large print assessments that replicate the format of those used in formal testing.
- Prepare for Success is an essential resource for anyone looking to improve the outcomes for their students with VI.